Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Halloween... Kind Of

I just had to write and to say that I have the nicest au pair family ever! I had my first French test today, and this morning the mum wished me luck several times, the dad text me to ask how it went, and when I came home the grandma said "bravo" and I felt like a little kid who has just done something really well, rather than simply have taken a test.

The children have holidays soon, hence the grandma staying, as she is taking them to stay with her at the end of the week for the duration of the vacation. It's actually pretty good to have some help! Tomorrow will be our "Halloween day", carving pumpkins and making arts and crafts and hopefully a yummy Halloween cake. Strange though, due to the Catholic nature of France, they don't celebrate Halloween and instead focus on the significance of All Saint's Day on the 1st of November, which they use to honour and respect the dead. Very much in a direct clash with Halloween, which admittedly is full of consumerist values... but don't you remember being a kid and how fun it was, dressing up and going out into the frosty night to knock on people's doors to get handfuls of sweets, and then coming back and sitting in the warmth and tipping the whole lot out so you could see how much you've earned dressed as a witch/ghost/vampire etc. Well with les enfants we are going to catch a glimpse of why Halloween is fun, as it's all new to them (no trick or treating though!).

That is all, was just a quick small update! 

No comments:

Post a Comment