Sunday, March 6, 2011

The beginning of Spring

Bonjour,

As the weather's starting to get nicer here (it's still pretty cold but the sun is showing her face again!) the smell of Spring is in the air. I'm very much looking forward to Les Printemps in Paris as there will be more things to do for less money, plus gloomy weather tends to put most people in gloomy moods.

The other day my host family asked me to keep a look-out for anyone I know who would like to take over from me as an au pair when my contract is up. They did ask if I'd be interested in staying longer but I declined, as I'm itching to start my career. This got me thinking though, as I decided to make the most of my time here (only 4 months, eeek!). I began a small list of things that I absolutely have to do before I leave. One of these things was to visit Les Deux Magots in St Germain des Pres. I walk past this cafe everyday on my way to school, and have so far ignored its presence as it is clearly a tourist hotspot and no longer retains the je ne sais quoi that attracted the likes of Hemingway, Joyce and de Beauvoir. However, feeling the need to at least go there once, I indulged in a chocolat chaud there yesterday.


The chocolat chaud was average - it appeared to have been made out of literally melted chocolate which sounds rather nice but in reality was far too thick and the actual taste was nothing special. But I'm glad that I went and the sun was shining helpfully as I people-watched on the Boulevard St Germain. To my right sat a living stereotype of the American tourist. The woman was large, wore a too tight pink t-shirt, spoke loudly "Ya, ya, I'm in Paaaaris, ya in a cafe. Ya I'll call you later. Love ya" and ate with surprising speed the numerous plates of food that sat before her. Considering that my lonely chocolat chaud put me 7 euros out of pocket, this must have cost her a small fortune. She was also evidently too nice (or naive?) for her own good, as she willingly gave the somewhat rude French man who approached her with "oh madame, tu adores manger oui! Je peux voir ca! Tu manges beaucoup non, c'est bien?" one of her cigarettes when asked, upon which he took 3. I suspect she understood none of his language other than the word "cigarette".

Earlier that day I visited the independent bookshop named I Love My Blender which is situated on the Rue du Temple in the Marais (metro Hotel de Ville). The bookstore hosts a variety of literature (fiction, non-fiction and childrens) in English and French, as well as a small number of bilingual books. The man working there, who I took to be the owner, was friendly and continued reading his book after welcoming me, allowing me to peruse at my own leisure (I like this a lot, I can't stand it when shop assistants follow me around, particularly in a bookshop). I did eventually buy a copy of Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's of which I have seen the film version but never read. The copy I bought is bilingual (English and French of course) through which I hope to improve my vocabularly in an enjoyable way.

36 Rue du Temple, Metro: Hotel de Ville

Another thing on my list was to visit the Musee d'Orsay. I've been meaning to do this for some time but something else has always come up. I finally went there yesterday with some friends. The museum is located across the Seine from the Louvre. One of the bridges one can cross to get there is the famous Pont des Arts, upon which lovers notoriously place engraved padlocks symbolising their everlasting love. Altogether now: awwww.


The museum itself is refreshingly full of light and offers practial space in which to appreciate the art it holds. This includes works of Van Gogh and Monet, as well as some of the earliest examples of photography. Taking photos was forbidden but I managed to sneak a few snaps for you lovely people to see.





I really adore the works of Monet and hope to travel to Giverny at some point, the place where he took the images for many of his famous paintings. If you're ever in Paris give the Musee d'Orsay a chance. I leave you with this stunning picture, of which I have to admit I have forgotten the name of the painter. Once remembered I will update.

Bonne Journee xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment