Friday, July 15, 2011

La Rochelle

Salut!

I've recently returned from the town of La Rochelle, where I spent a week and a half with the children and grandparents (mainly to help out with the kids but it was kind of a free holiday too). La Rochelle is a harbour town in the South West of Paris, about 2 hours North from Bordeaux. Apparently it's a very popular holiday destination for the English and Germans as well as the French. You'll have to wait to see photos as I've temporarily broken my netbook, but suffice it to say that it was a very attractive spot.

Temperatures were of an average of 30 degrees celsius and it's such a warm place that the grandparents have an outdoor kitchen and dining room complete with a very posh bbq. They made me feel very at home and the food was delicious - my diet whilst there consisted of melons, fresh artichokes, bbq'd sardines and fresh mussels caught that same day (the best I've ever tasted in fact). We also partook in a host of activities such as swimming at the water park, going to the beach, visiting an aquarium and watching a spectacle from the local Francofolies festival which is taking place at the moment.

Saturday night the grandma treated us all to the la Cinéscénie spectacle at nearby medieval attraction park Puy du Fou. I had no idea what it was beforehand - I now know that it is the largest evening show in the world and documents the history of French wars. You sit outside under the night sky (it doesn't start till nightfall due to the reliance on lights and fireworks) and watch as over 1,000 actors and plenty of horses and other animals entertain you with the story of France's fight for freedom. The setting is a large lake behind which is a castle, surrounded by greenery. The infamous Revolution of 1789 was of course a big deal, especially being so close to Bastille day, and there were a lot of fireworks and gunpowder and staged explosions. Amongst other things I witnessed a man on fire riding a horse, beautiful dancers appearing to float on the water, projections across the night sky and hundreds of fireworks. It was truly entertaining, although at times so many things were happening at once before you it was hard to keep up. Very impressive.

La Rochelle is famous for the three towers which make up the maritime fortifications, and it was fought over for many years by the French and the English. It wasn't until 1372 that the town became French. I climbed up these towers and had a great view of the port and the town, I will post photos when I can. I also took a walk around the local food market on Saturday morning which consisted of rows and rows of stalls of fresh and locally sourced fruit, veg, bread, honey and fish. Life is good in France; the people eat well and enjoy all the pleasures in life, and I think it is this appreciation which allows them to do so in moderation.

I have more to update but will write again when I have more time.

Bisous xx

No comments:

Post a Comment