Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chinatown and Monet

Hello all,

A quick update to recent happenings: Saturday night I celebrated a friend's birthday in Paris. We began at my friend Lindsey's apartment in chinatown (when I say apartment I mean a very, very small room typical to Parisian living arrangements)and indulged in wine and American food which included mac'n'cheese and hot cheetos. As you may have guessed some of my friends are from California! It was all delicious. Bottles of wine in hand we proceeded to travel by foot to a bar named Pop-In.

Most of the night is a slight blur, but we did all have a good time and mini dramas were had as can be expected from any good 21st celebration! Four of us slept spooning each other in Lindsey's bed (which takes up almost the entire apartment) in a sardine-like position, and Sunday morning one man was down whilst the rest of us remedied our hangovers with some cheap and plentiful chinese food in Parisian chinatown. This weekend has been the first time I visited Chinatown in Paris and the area is vibrant and interesting, complete with what can only be described as hookers on many street corners - they tend to huddle in small groups wearing an attempt at business attire which is somewhat odd.

On Monday, also known as Valentine's Day to many of you, I invited three friends back to my lovely house in Le Vesinet as my family was away. We drank more wine and watched silly films and played cards, it was all very romantic. During the day I visited Musee de L'Orangerie with Kelly. This museum (free for under 26s part of the EU) is situated within the Jardin des Tuileries and contains some of Monet's most famous paintings including the notorious Water Lily painting. The paintings are arranged in oval shaped white rooms, which brings a nice calming feeling to the viewer and is refreshingly unusual. I enjoyed this part but didn't think much of the various other pieces of art available which for the most part were embedded within small gold frames and hung upon plain and boring-looking walls in hallways.

Monet in Musee de L'Orangerie


That's all for now,

A bientot

No comments:

Post a Comment